COVID-19 (Coronavirus) Updates & Information
Eastern Illinois Foodbank is considered an essential organization and is therefore exempt from Governor Pritzker’s Stay at Home order. At this time we continuing operations and doing everything we can to prepare to meet the increased needs for food related to COVID-19.
More than 100,000 people in our community rely on us for food and, as this pandemic intensifies, they are at even greater risk for missing meals. As jobs are limited or lost, events cancelled and schools close down we know those numbers will increase.
The health and safety of our community, volunteers and staff continue to be a top priority and we are taking extra precautions around our facility to maintain social distancing and other CDC guidelines. We are working with partners such as Feeding America, food donors and vendors preparing to meet the need as necessary. Like other Foodbanks, we are altering our delivery system to fit the needs of the individual communities we serve.
Although we are taking precautions and adapting our delivery systems, the Foodbank is still doing what we’ve done from more than three decades—providing food and support for our agency partners so they can distribute food to those in need.
If You Need Food
- With a few exceptions, our network of 170 partner agencies and programs remains open. Find our list of partners here. We recommend calling before you go to confirm program hours and requirements. A list of our partners that are temporarily closed or have changed their hours can be found below.
- EIF will be distributing food at a drive-through supplemental food distribution on April 4, 2020 at True Grit Fitness in Tilton, IL for eligible Vermilion County residents. Clients are asked to clear space in their trunks or back seats so volunteers can safely load food into their vehicles without making contact. More information can be found here.
How You Can Help
- While all support is appreciated, financial support allows EIF the most flexibility in handling these fluid circumstances. A donation of any amount helps us continue to respond. Please click here to donate.
- Due to the rapidly evolving situation, we may have an increased need for volunteers in the future. Stay current on volunteer opportunities by signing up to receive updates and newsletters here.
Volunteering & Events
- The safety of our staff, volunteers and community remains our highest priority. We are taking extra precautions, including increased cleaning and sanitizing of our facility, allowing staff to work from home when possible, limiting direct contact, and practicing safe distancing.
- At this time we are reassessing our needs and significantly limiting volunteers. There will be opportunities to help soon, but we don’t know exactly what they will entail. We will continue to keep you informed of our efforts by sending emails and posting regular updates on our website.
Cancellations & Closures
- Effective Monday, March 30, EIF's warehouse will be open the following hours: Monday-Thursday from 7am - 3pm and Friday from 7am - 12pm
- The following EIF partners have temporarily closed or changed their hours:
- UniPlace Christian Church in Champaign, IL will be closing their pantry until further notice but will be providing to-go dinners twice a week. Please contact them for more information at 217-362-5118.
- Salvation Army in Bloomington, IL will only be open on Mondays until further notice
- Faith UMC Senior Grocery in Champaign, IL is closed until further notice
- Lake Land College Pantry will be utilizing drive-by service for their food pantry every Wednesday until further notice
- Danville Area Community College Food pantry is closed until further notice, however if a student needs food they can call 217-443-8843 to make arrangements
- The Haven in Mattoon, IL is closed to the public until further notice
- Methodist Ministry in Bloomington, IL is closed until further notice
- ERBA Greenup & Newton will both be closed until April 6. If anyone is in need of emergency services or food during this time, please call 800-252-1152 for emergency assistance
- Salvation Army in Pontiac, IL will be distributing food by appointment only. Call 309-844-5005
- Willow Hill Food Pantry in Jasper County is closed until further notice
- St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry in Danville, IL is closed until further notice
- Heartland Food Pantry at Heartland Community College is closed until further notice
- Hope Food Pantry in Hidalgo, IL is closed until further notice
- Mattoon Christian Church Food Pantry remains open but has changed their hours to Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 5-7pm
- Kansas Food Pantry is closed until further notice
- St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry in Pontiac, IL remains open but is reducing hours to noon to 3pm on Thursdays and will implement a drive-through service with packaged items
- Salvation Army in Champaign, IL will be reducing hours to 9am - 1pm daily, with drive-through pick up only
- St. Vincent de Paul Food Pantry in Urbana, IL will be open Monday 3/23, Tuesday 3/24 and Thursday 3/26 from 4-5pm and then reducing hours to Monday & Thursdays 4-5pm until further notice
- Livingston County Community Pantry in Pontiac, IL has changed their distribution hours to Mondays & Wednesdays from 1-3pm and Saturdays from 10am - 12pm until further notice
- Christ's Pantry in Lovington, IL has canceled their April 2 distribution
- Robinwood Food Pantry in Robinson, IL has changed their distribution hours to 4-6pm the first Thursday of the month until further notice
- Tiger Market at Urbana High School is closed, but arrangements can be made for deliveries. Email Lucia Muldonado at lmaldonado (at) usd116.org or Denise Taylor at denise (at) ywcauofi.org
- Champaign Church of the Brethren will distribute food on Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 1-3pm until further notice. Call 217-356-3852 to schedule an appointment
- Washington Square Senior Program will be by delivery only
- Christ's Food Pantry in Lovington, IL will be closed on April 2nd and is re-evaluating distribution dates going forward
- St Patrick's Food Pantry in Tolono, IL will be closed 3/31 through April 12
- St Vincent de Paul Food Pantry in Champaign, IL is closed until further notice
- Monticello Christian Church remains open but has changed their hours to 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Newman Shares student food pantry at Eastern Illinois University will be closed until further notice
- Mattoon Community Food Pantry has temporarily suspended their Thursday distributions only until further notice. Their Monday, Wednesday & Friday distributions will continue
- The Chrisman Food Pantry in Chrisman, IL will be open April 20 from 3-7pm and April 21 8am-4pm by appointment only until further notice. Call 217-269-3000 for an appointment.
Please note, many of our partner agencies remain open but have changed their distribution model, such as offering drive-up service only, allowing a limited number of people in the facility at a time, or by appointment only. We strongly recommend contacting them ahead of time.