No one should be hungry. The Healthy Futures Initiative is the Foodbank's coordinated approach to alleviating hunger among the most vulnerable populations. The initiative strives to increase access to healthy foods such as produce, dairy, nonperishable fruits and vegetables, grains, and meat available to children in situations of food insecurity and hunger. This product reaches children and seniors through these four primary distribution channels:
- School Pantry distributions located on the grounds of a high school, and are intended to provide a more readily accessible source of food assistance to low-income students and their families;
- Backpacks full of food for children at risk of weekend hunger, delivered directly to them at school on Fridays (learn more about a study on the impact of the BackPack Program completed at the Family Resiliency Center);
- Senior Grocery Program focused on providing appropriate foods to meet the complex nutritional needs of seniors;
- Foodmobile, or mobile food pantry, distributions to children and families in predominantly rural communities; and
- Agencies and programs served by the Foodbank such as soup kitchens, food pantries, and kids' snack programs that provide meals or groceries to families with children.
As the Foodbank’s newest initiative, we hope to mobilize substantial community support in order to establish a consistent source of nutritious food for kids throughout the year. In addition to the sense of purpose that comes from supporting a vitally important community project, we invite your company or organization to enjoy the following benefits of support:
- Involve employees or members. In addition to your financial contribution, we have numerous opportunities for you to involve employees in volunteerism. From handing out food at our Foodmobile distributions to sorting bulk product in our warehouse, we can provide your employees with a rewarding service experience so they can proudly see your company’s dollars at work.
- Make a big impact with a modest investment. Because of our leveraging power, every dollar donated to the Foodbank can provide ten dollars worth of food.
- Be a visible part of your community. We will work with your company or organization to ensure you are publicly recognized for your support.
Contact our Development department at (217) 328-3663 to learn more about supporting the Healthy Futures Initiative. Thank you for your support!
Donate Your Gently Used Backpack!
Have a slightly used backpack you’re not using anymore? Donate it to our Healthy Futures Initiative! EIF will make sure it gets put to good use by going home full of food for kids at risk of weekend hunger. You can drop off your backpack(s) at the Foodbank during warehouse hours (Monday through Thursday 7:30am-4:30pm & Friday 7:30am-noon).