Thank you for your interest in volunteering! Listed below are current and upcoming opportunities to help the Foodbank. If you are interested in any of the following opportunities, just email us at volunteer(at)eifoodbank.org and be sure to fill out our volunteer registration form.
***Please note: Any volunteer 10 to 13 should be accompanied by a responsible adult; one adult per each child. We regret that we cannot take volunteers under the age of ten.***
SCHOOL PANTRY CAPTAIN
The School Pantry Program is an Eastern Illinois Foodbank-run pantry on site at a high school, to serve students and their families. Being a Pantry Captain includes ordering for and managing inventory of a small pantry, working with the school to serve the students, keeping records and reports, etc. Likely it will be open twice a month on set afternoons, and volunteers can expect to put in 20+ hours per month. This is a volunteer position with the Eastern Illinois Foodbank, not with the school. It does involve passing a background check, being approved by EIF and being approved by the school. Click here to read the full volunteer description. Email Andrea Rundell at arundell(at)eifoodbank.org for more information.
MARKET AT THE SQUARE
EIF will be picking up produce from vendors who signed up for the Farm to Foodbank program through Urbana's Market at the Square. Produce pick up volunteers are needed from 11:30am-12:30pm on the dates listed below. Volunteers will need to be able to lift roughly 30 pounds. If you can help, please email Kristen at volunteer(at)eifoodbank.org with your volunteer date(s).
August 2, 9, 16, 23
September 6, 13, 20, 27
MACY'S SHOP FOR A CAUSE
We are in need of 2-3 volunteers to collect money for Macy's "Shop for a Cause" coupons on August 23 from 9:45am-1pm. Volunteers would table a booth and sell Macy's coupons for $5 and proceeds would benefit EIF. If you can help please email Kristen at volunteer(at)eifoodbank.org.
When the Foodbank receives food in bulk we have to repackage that product into smaller forms for our agencies to give out to individuals and families in need. We will be holding repacks on the following dates:
KID'S DAY REPACK
We will be hosting a repack specifically for children 5-13 year's old and their parents or guardians. Kids must be accompanied by their parent(s) or guardian.
Stay tuned for future kid's repack dates
If your family is interested in volunteering for our kid's day repack please email Kristen at volunteer(at)eifoodbank.org and note your shift.
PLEASE REMEMBER BEFORE YOU REPACK:
- To make sure we don’t go over room capacity, please do not attend a repack without contacting Kristen first.
- We heavily depend on volunteers to repack bulk food product so if you can’t attend please Kristen know.
- If you show any signs of cold, flu or sickness please abstain from repackaging food.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes and remove all jewelry. To comply with food safety standards any volunteer not wearing closed-toed shoes will not be able to repack.
- No food or drink is allowed in the warehouse/repack room. EIF has a break room where water is available. We know it’s tempting but please do not eat the food being repacked – it’s against food safety guidelines.
- If you have any food allergies please check with Kristen as to what will be repacked.
- Please arrive no later than 5:40pm. Explaining repack instructions to one full group is easier on us and decreases the likelihood of repackaging errors.
- If you are dropping someone off at a repack please be prepared to pick them up early in case the repack wraps up early.
- Besides the kid's day repacks, any volunteer 10 to 13 should be accompanied by a responsible adult; one adult per each child. We regret that we cannot take volunteers under the age of 10 for warehouse activities.
We are looking for a few committed individuals that would be interested in being a lead volunteer at our foodmobiles. Foodmobiles are mobile food pantries that are sent to areas of need within our 14 counties. A truckload of food is brought to a host site and distributed. Contact Kristen at volunteer(at)eifoodbank.org if you're interested in becoming a volunteer leader with this project.
HELP AT OUR AGENCIES!
A few of our agencies could use your help this holiday season. If you are interested in volunteering at a food pantry, soup kitchen or shelter, visit our Volunteer at an EIF Agency page. Our agencies are in need of a variety of volunteers - from Spanish speakers, homework helpers, food sitters, distribution volunteers, soup kitchen servers, to folks who love the outdoors - there is bound to be something you'd be interested in helping with!